Background

6.22.2012

ACTIVATOR: Are you impatient for action?


Does this sound like you?

" 'When can we start?' This is a recurring question in your life. You are impatient for action...you believe action is the best device for learning. You make a decision, you take action, you look at the result, and you learn. This learning informs your next action and your next. How can you grow if you have nothing to react to? Well, you believe you can't. You must put yourself out there. You must take the next step. It is the only way to keep your thinking fresh and informed. The bottom line is this: You know you will be judged not by what you say, not by what you think, but by what you get done. This does not frighten you. It pleases you."

If this accurately describes your take on life, then you too, are an Activator.
Join the impatient club!
Hey, if something needs to be done, by all means, less talk and more do. Let's get 'er done!

However, this is not at the expense of others. Personally, if I'm in a group made up of multiple Activators, I tend to take a backseat and allow those that have to lead, lead. I'm not an Activator because I have to be the one to do it, I just want the job done... Anyone else?

Allow me to paint a classic picture of my Activator-ness in full effect:

When we moved to Atascadero, Bry and I rented an adorable 2 bedroom cottage with a backyard that's fence overlooked the creek. It was a home, with a big yard, one that needed a dog STAT. Our landlords made it clear that pets weren't allowed, but after multiple brownie deliveries, they softened, {no doubt in a chocolate coma} and agreed to let us get a dog.

That was on a Tuesday evening.

Tuesday at midnight, I'm scouring the Internet in search of the perfect lapdog. What dog is good with kids, doesn't shed or slobber, has a great personality?... you get the idea!

At 2am, I've decided our dog will be a Shih-tzu.

Wednesday morning, I'm on the phone with a friend who knows every breeder on the Central Coast, and took some numbers. Fast-forward to after work that same day ~ I'm driving to Creston to meet the possible newest member of our family.

I'll never forget calling Bryan on the way, "Hey, I may be late to church tonight... I'm headed to Creston to see about getting a dog."

Silence.
Followed by laughter.

"You don't waste any time," I hear on the other end.

Sure enough, I fell in love with the tiny puppy and two weeks later, Roxy did join our family.
Get a family dog...
Check!

How's that for "impatient for action"?

If you are an Activator, here are a couple of Ideas for Action that may enhance your strength:

* At work, make sure that your manager judges you on measurable outcomes rather than your process. Your process is not always pretty. {p.42, Strengthsfinder}
That's for sure, but life is a process, one that definitely isn't pretty. Therefore, this point is fine by me.

* You learn more from real experience than from theoretical discussions. To grow, consciously expose yourself to challenging experiences that will test your talents, skills and knowledge.
{p.43, Strengthsfinder}
This explains why philosophy left me grappling...

* You can transform innovative ideas into immediate action. Look for creative and original thinkers, and help them move their ideas from conceptual theory to concrete practice. {p.43, Strengthsfinder}
By far, this is one of my favorite things to do: listen to people's ideas and thoughts, and offer tangible solutions for helping them move forward or get "unstuck."

* Seek work in which you can make your own decisions and act on them. In particular, look for start-up or turnaround situations.{p.42, Strengthsfinder}
Amen! The ideal career is one that I lead. Looking back on past jobs, the ones where I felt stifled and misunderstood, were those in which I was micro-managed and without a voice.

Now, if you'll excuse me, the idea of how to make Tanner's birthday invites just came to me...you'll find yours in the mailbox tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment